Student Visa Spain – What you’ll need

How to Get a Student Visa in Spain

First, of course, you need a passport. (If you don’t have one, you can get one quick with Rush My Passport).

Then, you need to sign up for a course of study (this can be a language school) for the length of time you want. Attendance needs to be 20 hours a week or more.

You get the paperwork from the school (acceptance letter, statement of time of study, receipt of payment, etc.) and the rest of the documents below:

Documents you must submit in order to apply for a Student Visa:

  • You must apply at the appropriate Consulate General of Spain according to your permanent residency or study address. (Check the Consulate listing and area of jurisdiction at the end of this post)
  • The application must be submitted in person by you or through an authorized representative (this has to have a notarized authorization). Applications by mail are not accepted. Make an appointment if your consulate has an online appointment request.
  • Due to the demand for student visas at certain times of the year, you should arrive at the consulate office before 9:00 AM and be prepared to wait.
  • When submitting your student visa application, you can also apply for the visa for your spouse and any children under 18 years of age.
  • The visa will be affixed to your passport before you depart the United States and it must be presented at your point of entry into the Schengen countries.

Documents/Items needed to apply for a Student Visa:

  • 2 completed Schengen Application forms
  • Passport. Your passport must be valid for the intended period of your stay in Spain with at least one blank page to affix the visa. Also provide either of the following: US drivers license, US State ID card, current student ID.
  • 2 recent photos passport size with a white background. Staple one photo on each of the application forms. (better to just get four. Spain might need another one)
  • Letter of acceptance as a full time student from Spain’s School or US program indicating: name, address and registration number of the school with Spain’s Department of Education; (Ministerio de Educación de España) full payment of tuition, duration of the program, subjects of the study and hours of study per week, which must be no less than 20.
  • Health Insurance (original form): International insurance coverage for health/accident with a minimum coverage equal to €30,000 during the planning period of stay in Spain (or its equivalency in dollars).

Proof of financial means during your stay. Provide one of the following:

  • Letter from the School in Spain or USA assuming full financial responsibility during your stay (this should be included in your acceptance letter).
  • Proof of financial support for at least $1,000 per month for room and board:
    • Notarized letter from legal guardians (if under 18) assuming full financial responsibility for at least $1,000 per month for room and board.
    • Personal bank account statements showing at least $1,000 per month of stay.

Money, Police Records, Medical check…

  • Money-Order to pay the non-refundable visa fee of $100 for US citizens (no personal checks or cash accepted).
  • Self-addressed and Pre-Paid US Express-Mail envelope  from the USPS (only, no other form of mail accepted) if you want your passport returned by mail. otherwise you can pick it up in person.
  • Evidence of your migratory status in the USA (Only for non US citizens): Provide your “Alien Registration Card” or “US Visa with I-20/IAP-66”(except B1-B2).
  • Certificate of Absence of Police Records (Only for stays of more than 180 days) issued by the Police Department from the city/cities where you have resided more than six months in the past five years. This Certificate must bear the Apostille of The Hague Convention (You have to contact your Secretary of State to figure out how to get this. It is usually in person).
  • Doctor’s statement (on a doctor or medical center letterhead), indicating that you have been examined and found in good physical and mental health to travel to study abroad and are free of contagious diseases.
  • Notarized authorization letter to travel and study abroad from the parents or custodians (only if 18 years of age).

Additional Requirements & Application timeline:

But wait, there’s more.

All documents must be originals (unless specified that a copy is needed, then submit original and copies)

You can’t apply more than four months in advance nor less than 7 weeks before the departure date.
Passports must be left in the Consulate to process the visa.

It takes a minimum of 7 weeks to process this type of visa. During this time no telephone consultations will be taken regarding your visa status.

If granted, your visa will allow you to study in Spain for the requested period of time, as specified on the visa sticker, (“del….al….”). Keep in mind the date format in Europe: Day, Month and Year.
If your stay in Spain is for a period longer than 180 days you will have to request, within one month of your arrival in Spain, an authorization for the completion of your studies as well as the proper student ID card from the Police Department in Spain (“Policia Nacional”).

Contact your closest Consulate General of Spain:

Consulate in Boston (Chancellor Office)

Address: 545 Boylston Street, Suite 80, Boston, MA 02116
Telephone: (617) 536-2506 / 2527
Fax: (617) 536-8512
Jurisdiction: Maine, Massachussets, New Hampshire, Rhodes Island, Vermont

Consulate in New York (Chancellor Office)

Address: 150 East 58th St., 30th floor, New York, NY 10155
Telephone: (212) 355-4080 / 4081 / 4082 / 4085 / 4090
Fax: (212) 644-3751
Jurisdiction: New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Yersey

Consulate in Washington (Chancellor Office)

Address: 2375 Pennsylvania Avenue NW., Washington, DC 20037
Telephone: (202) 728 2330
Fax: (202) 728 2302
Jurisdiction: Mayland, Virginia, West Virginia, District of Columbia, North Carolina

Embassy of Spain in Washington

Address: 2375 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20037
Telephone: (202) 452-0100 / 728-2340
Information Office: (202) 728-2332
Financial Office: (202) 728-2338
Fax: (202) 833-5670
Fax Information Office: (202) 728-2308
Fax Financial Office: (202) 728-2318

Consulate in Miami (Chancellor Office)

Address: 2655 Le Jeune Road, Suite 203, Coral Gables, FL 33134
Telephone: (305) 446-5511 / 5512 / 5513
Fax: (305) 446-0585
Jurisdiction: Florida, South Carolina, Georgia

Consulate in Houston (Chancellor Office)

Address: 1800 Bering Drive, Suite 660, Houston, TX 77057-3129
Telephone: (713) 783-6200 / 05 / 14
Fax: (713) 783-6166
Jurisdiction: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas

Consulate in Los Angeles (Chancellor Office)

Address: 5055 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 860, Los Angeles, CA 90036
Telephone: (323) 938-0158 / 0166
Fax: (323) 938-2502
Jurisdiction: California (Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, Bernardino,
San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Barbara y Ventura), Arizona, Colorado, Utah

Consulate in San Francisco (Chancellor Office)

Address: 1405 Suttter Street, San Francisco, CA 94109
Telephone: (415) 922-2995/ 2996
Fax: (415) 931-9706
Jurisdiction: Alaska, California (except the South), Hawaii, Idaho, Montana,
Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming

Consulate in Chicago (Chancellor Office)

Address: 180 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 1500, Chicago, IL 60601
Telephone: (312) 782-4588 / 4589
Fax: (312) 782-1635
Jurisdiction: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota,
Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri,Wisconsin